Monday, August 05, 2013

Music To Make The Boys Cry. Finally.


If anyone has followed my ramblings about this song over the last year and a half, they would understand how enamoured I am with it. On this very blog, in it's first incarnation last year, I ranked it as my second favourite tune of 2012 (behind only 'Little Talks') in just it's demo form. Now the beautiful Diana Vickers has gone and released it proper as a single with a (admittedly mediocre) film clip. The thing with demos sometimes is that they sound better than the actual final version and in this song's case it's a very close race. She's largely kept it untouched save for a noticeably added-in back vocal during the chorus' "I want to make music to make the boys cry" lyric. The demo I have runs 3:38 whilst the final version clocks in at 3:30, you might not think that's much but it does sound like she gets on with things a bit quicker in the latest version, there seems to be a bit more rgency within the song this time around. I am passionate about this song because it sounds both fresh and refreshing, it's effortlessly old-school cool and the lyrics are cleverly woven amongst the layers of synth and relentlessly stylistic beats. I don't know what it is about it, but its one of those rare cases that make the leap from long-time demo brilliance to final version brilliance as well. It still remains one of the best pop moments of the past 5 years IMO and I want you all to drink it in and finally sit up and take notice of it. She is a star-in-waiting and with some luck, this song should make her no longer in-waiting. Also, hottest album cover of 2013? Yes. Oh Yes.

Plug-it in, listen and watch below:

No comments: