Friday, August 23, 2013

The Plug It In or Plug It Out sessions: #4


This is my quick roundup of the album releases of note throughout the week. It is the quickest review you're probably ever gonna see. 
Week commencing August 23

The ratings:
Plug it in, now! = 5 stars
Jacked up = 4 stars
I really want to listen to the next thing, but this will do for now = 3 stars
I can't quite find the jack = 2 stars
Plug it out! = 1 star

Ellie Goulding 'Halcyon Days'
I really want to listen to the next thing, but this will do for now
Note: Massive re-release of an already disappointing album (the deluxe version is insane!). The added tracks are of varying quality.
Album highlight: Still the ace 'Anything Could Happen', 'Goodness Gracious' is the best of the newies.

Franz Ferdinand 'Right Thoughts, Right Words, Right Action'
I can't quite find the jack
Note: More of the same from them, which is wearing a bit thin. It's lacking something as a whole. They've done this much better before.
Album highlight: 'Right Action'

Jacob Butler 'Reason'
I can't quite find the jack
Note: It's an album with an identity crisis. Non-coherent clutter that's littered with very average songs.
Album highlight: 'Come My Way'

John Mayer 'Paradise Valley'
I really want to listen to the next thing, but this will do for now
Note: A bit more country influenced than usual and it suits him well. It's pleasant enough, with a handful of really good tracks surrounded by mediocre ones.
Album highlight: Undoubtedly 'Paper Doll'


No comments: